[OpenAFS-devel] vos dump busying out the volume while dumping...

Neulinger, Nathan nneul@umr.edu
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:47:32 -0500

I think that if you created it as a clone on the same partition, it
would work fine, but whenever you move the parent volume, or move the
clone, it would cease to be a clone.  I don't think anything actually
cares if a clone exists, since it all does CopyOnWrite for all changes.

I figured on a "vos copy volname server part volname server part" with
server and partition defaulting reasonably.

Would be nice if there were some reasonable way to do a "vos merge
server part vol1 vol2" that would recombine a couple of volumes.
Unfortunately, that would likely be a fairly expensive operation, since
it would have to compare every file in a pair of volumes. Without that
though, as soon as you had multiple clones, you couldn't move the
volumes to a different server without using X * quotaused.=20

Adding a "vos copy" routine should be relatively easy to do.=20

-- Nathan