[OpenAFS-devel] Updated redhat workaround patch

David Thompson thomas@cs.wisc.edu
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:27:36 -0600

Matthew Miller wrote:
>On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 10:30:28PM -0400, Tim C. wrote:
>>   Another great use of this, we at UMBC have a /usr/local in afs space that
>> most clients are linked to.  If there was some computer that didn't really n
>eed
>> access to afs cause it had all their files locally, then it could use this
>> read-only client to get /usr/local.  It's not something they're allowed to
>> write to anyway, so it's actually better for us.
>
>This is exactly the situation at BU. Most departments have a fileserver with
>home directories, but we maintain an applications tree centrally.

Especially if there is no client-side caching, you might as well run a read-only samba and/or nfs server, and mount the data using those protocols.  You could even run the translator on the file server(s) themselves.

I think it more matches the pattern of the linux kernel maintainers not wanting to use code that they don't directly control.

Dave