[OpenAFS-devel] Updated redhat workaround patch

seth vidal skvidal@phy.duke.edu
28 Oct 2002 17:29:55 -0500

--=-zGYI1V6nPfaTb0nxxlwc

On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 17:27, David Thompson wrote:
> Matthew Miller wrote:
> >On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 10:30:28PM -0400, Tim C. wrote:
> >>   Another great use of this, we at UMBC have a /usr/local in afs space=
 that
> >> most clients are linked to.  If there was some computer that didn't re=
ally n
> >eed
> >> access to afs cause it had all their files locally, then it could use =
this
> >> read-only client to get /usr/local.  It's not something they're allowe=
d to
> >> write to anyway, so it's actually better for us.
> >
> >This is exactly the situation at BU. Most departments have a fileserver =
with
> >home directories, but we maintain an applications tree centrally.
>=20
> Especially if there is no client-side caching, you might as well run a re=
ad-only samba and/or nfs server, and mount the data using those protocols. =
 You could even run the translator on the file server(s) themselves.
>=20
> I think it more matches the pattern of the linux kernel maintainers not w=
anting to use code that they don't directly control.
>=20

Again,  I think it matches the pattern that they don't want to use code
they can't put in the kernel. The ipl is NOT gpl compatible.

-sv

--=-zGYI1V6nPfaTb0nxxlwc

--=-zGYI1V6nPfaTb0nxxlwc--