[OpenAFS-devel] Windows ME client question

Tim Leamy ccctim@mailbox.ucdavis.edu
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:51:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hello there,

  I hope this is the correct place to ask.  Could you please reply
directly to me since I'm not on the email list.

  I started testing the Win9X/ME OpenAFS 1.2.2b client.  I ran across a
issue for our site.  The client creates a Netbios host name of
"pcname-afs".  Which is ok, except you run into problems with long names.
We have the PCs named thinks like meyer1131-1 through meyer1131-31.  When
the afs clients tries to add -afs to the end it runs into the 15 char
netbios limit.  So it tructates chars from the end.  So  meyer1131-10
through  meyer1131-19 all map to "meyer1131-1-afs".  And then you can only
connect from one of those at a time.

  I know we could change all the netbios names on our computers.  But we
have lots of things dependent on them so I want to avoid it.  So I was
wondering if it was possible to change the behavior of the afs client.
Maybe have it add "-a" instead of "-afs" so more betbios names would work.

  Please let me know if it's even possible.  Otherwise we'll have to look
at other options.  Thanks for your time.

			Tim Leamy
			Computer Lab Management
			University of California at Davis
			tcleamy@ucdavis.edu