[OpenAFS-devel] Adding an "estimate" function to vlserver

Matt Bacchi mbacchi@gmavt.net
Fri, 04 Apr 2003 11:57:39 -0500

I'll chime in with the recommendation that this extra command be enabled
only when building OpenAFS with Amanda support.  The normal AFS tape
backup service doesn't need this functionality, backing up using the TSM
(XBSA) enabled butc doesn't need this functionality, its only necessary
for Amanda.  Therefore, wouldn't it make sense to enable it in the
command suite when you specifically require Amanda support?

Maybe an autoconf argument for configure could be "--enable-amanda", and
when triggered it is compiled into the command suite.

The main reason I have this point of view was due to something Derrick
B. said a few months ago when I was working on some TSM/XBSA stuff.  And
I quote:
	"Everyone and their mom has the idea for a backup system. How are we
going to convince everyone to agree on one of them?"

Should the AFS backup system development become more fractured due to
several supported commercial backup options, I believe it is prudent to
try to keep each one self contained, modular.

Just my opinion.

-Matt