[OpenAFS-devel] Adding an "estimate" function to vlserver

Mitch Collinsworth mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 13:12:44 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Matt Bacchi wrote:

> I'll chime in with the recommendation that this extra command be enabled
> only when building OpenAFS with Amanda support.

Others have responded to this already with good points which I won't repeat.

> The main reason I have this point of view was due to something Derrick
> B. said a few months ago when I was working on some TSM/XBSA stuff.  And
> I quote:
> 	"Everyone and their mom has the idea for a backup system. How are we
> going to convince everyone to agree on one of them?"

Personally I don't believe we should try to convice everyone to agree on
one backup system.  I believe that would be a huge shot in our collective
AFS foot.  If we want AFS to spread we need to have it play nicely with
as many backup systems as possible.  Many sites have local guidelines/
requirements/mandates about what their backup system ought to/should/must
be.  Why make this a stumbling block in the "can we do this?" check list?

> Should the AFS backup system development become more fractured due to
> several supported commercial backup options, I believe it is prudent to
> try to keep each one self contained, modular.

I see this as more of a general purpose than an amanda-specific feature.
It's a "If I vos dump this volume now, how big will the resulting dump
file be?" feature.  Any backup system that uses vos dump to backup AFS
will be able to use it.

> -Matt

-Mitch