[OpenAFS-devel] Adding an "estimate" function to vlserver

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 13:24:13 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

> > The main reason I have this point of view was due to something Derrick
> > B. said a few months ago when I was working on some TSM/XBSA stuff.  And
> > I quote:
> > 	"Everyone and their mom has the idea for a backup system. How are we
> > going to convince everyone to agree on one of them?"
>
> Personally I don't believe we should try to convice everyone to agree on
> one backup system.  I believe that would be a huge shot in our collective
> AFS foot.  If we want AFS to spread we need to have it play nicely with
> as many backup systems as possible.  Many sites have local guidelines/
> requirements/mandates about what their backup system ought to/should/must
> be.  Why make this a stumbling block in the "can we do this?" check list?

Since I'm being quoted...

My only point was that we needed to be able to deal with the fact that no
3 organizations can agree on a backup system, and probably provide a
better one for those whose organizations don't already have something
they're trying to use.

-D