[OpenAFS-devel] 1.2.9 bug

Nickolai Zeldovich kolya@MIT.EDU
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 17:31:28 -0400 (EDT)

> And to be even more precise, our cell name is ir.stanford.edu, and under
> previous versions of the AFS client with -dynroot -afsdb, /afs/ir and
> /afs/.ir just showed up and worked.  Now, they don't; /afs/ir.stanford.edu
> is there (and /afs/.ir.stanford.edu) but not the names without the
> domains.

Did the /afs/ir symlink appear with older versions of OpenAFS on the same
Solaris 9 machines?  Does "host -t afsdb ir" show the right AFSDB entries
when you run it on the machine in question?

The reason the symlink magically appeared is the DNS domain search list;
when the user-space AFSDB worker does a lookup for "ir", the resolver
library tries to look up "ir.stanford.edu", and succeeds (assuming you
have "domain stanford.edu" in /etc/resolv.conf).  I'd check that you have
the right "domain" statement in /etc/resolv.conf, perhaps.

-- kolya