[OpenAFS-devel] 1.2.9 bug

Quanah Gibson-Mount quanah@stanford.edu
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:43:07 -0700

--On Thursday, April 24, 2003 5:31 PM -0400 Nickolai Zeldovich
<kolya@MIT.EDU> wrote:

>> And to be even more precise, our cell name is ir.stanford.edu, and under
>> previous versions of the AFS client with -dynroot -afsdb, /afs/ir and
>> /afs/.ir just showed up and worked.  Now, they don't;
>> /afs/ir.stanford.edu is there (and /afs/.ir.stanford.edu) but not the
>> names without the domains.
>
> Did the /afs/ir symlink appear with older versions of OpenAFS on the same
> Solaris 9 machines?  Does "host -t afsdb ir" show the right AFSDB entries
> when you run it on the machine in question?
>
> The reason the symlink magically appeared is the DNS domain search list;
> when the user-space AFSDB worker does a lookup for "ir", the resolver
> library tries to look up "ir.stanford.edu", and succeeds (assuming you
> have "domain stanford.edu" in /etc/resolv.conf).  I'd check that you have
> the right "domain" statement in /etc/resolv.conf, perhaps.

Kolya,

It has disappeared on _all_ versions of Solaris (as per my later post).
And yes, it appeared yesterday under 1.2.7.  Once I upgraded to 1.2.9, it
disappeared.  Others here who have upgraded older versions of Solaris
experience the same problem, so it is not restricted to Solaris 9.

host -t afsdb ir
returns:
ir.Stanford.EDU AFSDB 1 afsdb1.Stanford.EDU
ir.Stanford.EDU AFSDB 1 afsdb2.Stanford.EDU
ir.Stanford.EDU AFSDB 1 afsdb3.Stanford.EDU

The /etc/resolv.conf file is fine on our systems and did not change across
upgrades of AFS.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount