[OpenAFS-devel] afsd default options

Alexei Kosut akosut@cs.stanford.edu
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 10:02:50 -0800

On Dec 3, 2003, at 8:50 AM, Jim Rees wrote:
> Now that the 1.3.5x train has left the station, I think we should
> change the
> default options to afsd.  The current defaults no longer make sense.  I
> propose:
>
> afsd -dynroot -afsdb -fakestat -nosettime -chunksize 18

I would object to making -afsdb the default on Darwin/Mac OS X.  As
great as it would be to have afsdb on by default, Darwin does not
currently provide a mechanism to run shutdown scripts, and the afsd
processes are killed like any other stray processes at system shutdown
time.  My memory is a little hazy, but as I recall, this is too late to
gracefully shutdown the afsdb helper process, which hangs and causes a
two-minute timeout until the OS finally decides to give up and halt
anyway.

I think it's possible to register for shutdown/reboot notifications in
other ways (using IOKit, maybe), and someone might want to look into
that to allow afsd to gracefully exit.  But last time I tried enabling
afsdb on Mac OS X, it causes a two minute hang on shutdown and reboot,
which I deemed unacceptable.

--
Alexei Kosut <akosut@cs.stanford.edu> <http://cs.stanford.edu/~akosut/>