[OpenAFS-devel] afsd default options

Garance A Drosihn drosih@rpi.edu
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 18:00:18 -0500

At 10:02 AM -0800 12/3/03, Alexei Kosut wrote:
>On Dec 3, 2003, at 8:50 AM, Jim Rees wrote:
>>Now that the 1.3.5x train has left the station, I think we
>>should change the default options to afsd.  The current
>>defaults no longer make sense.  I propose:
>>
>>afsd -dynroot -afsdb -fakestat -nosettime -chunksize 18
>
>I would object to making -afsdb the default on Darwin/Mac OS X.
>As great as it would be to have afsdb on by default, ...
>
>But last time I tried enabling afsdb on Mac OS X, it causes
>a two minute hang on shutdown and reboot, which I deemed
>unacceptable.

Hmm.  I am running openafs 1.2.9 on MacoS 10.2.8, and have
been using afsd options of:

  -stat 1200 -dcache 800 -daemons 3 -volumes 70
             -dynroot -afsdb -fakestat

(all on one line, of course).  I've been running this way
for awhile, and I've never noticed a problem at shutdown.
Mind you, I only reboot the machine about once-a-month,
or however often a system-update comes along that forces
me to reboot...

Have others seen this hanging problem?

(I don't mind if the default is NOT changed to include -afsdb,
but I'm interested in the report that it can cause hangs at
system shutdown...)