[OpenAFS-devel] good and bad performance of memory cache

Edward Moy emoy@apple.com
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 12:43:54 -0800

Since I was starting to investigate memory caching, I decided to run
iozone to really exercise the cache.  With disk caching on my
moderately slow (400MHz) test machine, the full iozone test suite took
nearly seven hours, with the largest files (going up to half a
gigabyte) really dragging down performance.  So much so that iozone
running over NFS2 actually runs 20 minutes faster than AFS.

I ran the same test with memory caching enabled (and even a larger
cache; 80 MB memory cache versus the 30 MB disk cache).  The whole test
suite now took nearly *twelve* hours.

In comparing results, speed is definitely faster for the memory cache
when the file size is smaller than the cache size.  But when the file
size is larger than the memory cache, performance is often worse (in
some cases more that twice as bad) as the disk cache.

Anyone have any ideas about why this is so?
Edward Moy
Apple Computer, Inc.
emoy@apple.com

(This message is from me as a reader of this list, and not a statement
from Apple.)