[OpenAFS-devel] TSM X/Open API support for Linux

Matt Bacchi mbacchi@gmavt.net
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:31:37 -0500

I recently contacted IBM software support regarding TSM X/Open API
support on Linux.  They told me that support is only available for AIX,
Solaris and HP-UX, and that there are no plans to support the Linux
platform.

What does this mean for Open AFS?  Basically, it means that Linux Open
AFS fileservers cannot use butc to backup directly to a TSM server.
But, another machine running on one of the supported platforms can
backup data on behalf of the Linux fileserver using this method.

Should XBSA compatibility be abandoned considering TSM was the only
supported type of XBSA server?  This solution would require writing to
the native TSM API.  Or, is XBSA support something we should strive to
provide?

On a related note, I have read on the ADSM-L mailing list of someone who
added TSM capability to the Transarc AFS butc.  Not to mention Mitch
Collinsworth's efforts at Cornell to support Amanda.  Is it time to
start discussing a 'grand unified' backup architecture for Open AFS?

-Matt