[OpenAFS-devel] OpenAFS 1-2.9-rc2 build with W2k, Visual Studio.net7, Oct 2002 SDK

Ken Beal ken@kenbeal.com
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 20:34:28 -0500

Damn Outlook, screwed up the formatting.  Here's a more readable version:

> (how did openafs-devel-admin@openafs.org end up getting cc'd on this?)

My mistake, I hit Ctrl+Shift+R instead of Ctrl+R (because Ctrl+R was going
*only* to openafs-devel-admin (brain-dead Outlook)), and forgot to remove
the admin.

> On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Ken Beal wrote:
> > Also, can I use cygwin or should I try it with Visual Studio 6?  Any
> > information would be helpful.
> Switch to VC6. Look at src/README-NT for more details. I can't answer your
> questions, I've never built on any Windows platform.

Thanks, I've gotten it building with just a few issues.  I have an older
copy of InstallShield, 5.0.221.0, and it's giving me the following error
with the default setup.rul:

    setup.rul(3051) : error C8025: 'CreateRegistrySet' : undefined
identifier

(I tried using the "InstallShield for Microsoft Visual C++ 6" (5.10.130)
which came with Visual Studio 6, but it is lacking the compile.exe program
so I went with the older version I had.)

It was also giving me another error about an undefined variable
(SHELL_OBJECT_FOLDER), which I defined as STRING to solve it.

Question: where should I submit fixes to the build scripts?

As for the CreateRegistrySet error, grepping through my InstallShield tree
found no reference to it.  In the 5.10.130 tree, I did find references to
it, so it must be something that was added between 5.0.221.0 and 5.10.130.

I worked around the error by commenting out that line; the build completed
successfully and I was able to install and connect to andrew.cmu.edu and
browse the tree.  However, with that line commented out it's not making the
changes to the Registry that it wanted to, and those changes may be
necessary for functionality so if someone knows a better workaround I'd love
to hear about it.  (Perhaps the function was named differently in the older
version?)

There were also a couple other little gotchas I ran into that I'd like to
document, a couple files that needed copying to different locations:

    copy src\WINNT\afs_setup_utils\_isuser\_IsUser.dll
src\WINNT\install\InstallShield5
    copy %IS5ROOT%\Include\SDRC.H src\WINNT\afs_setup_utils\_isuser

I'd like to add these to the build instructions document, or to the build
itself (the latter would be preferable).  I know there were a couple other
tweaks I had to do to get it working but I didn't document them (I'll start
from scratch again and keep track).

Is there a BugZilla for OpenAFS?  Or if not BugZilla, a database/list of
some sort documenting AFS bugs?  I've heard there are some memory leaks in
Windows and I'd like to try finding and fixing them, but I need more info.

        Thanks,
        Ken

---