[OpenAFS-devel] Openafs on Linux RS/6000 43P-140

Tilo Buschmann tilo.buschmann@s2000.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:21:35 +0100

Hi

I tried several things to reproduce this output.

On 30 Jan 2003 09:45:58 -0500
Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Tilo Buschmann <tilo.buschmann@s2000.tu-chemnitz.de> writes:
>
> > Nothing more in the rest of the logs except of (twice):
> >
> > ./warn:Jan 22 16:40:01 amy kernel: You must reload the AFS kernel
> > extensions before remounting AFS.
>
> Um, this is interesting...  Did you try to manually mount/unmount
> /afs?

I tested this some minutes ago: I unmounted /afs manually und
started /etc/init.d/afs again. It resulted in exactly this error
message. Maybe I tried on Jan the 22th to load the modules manually. I
wanted to understand the init script.

> Do you get this every time you reboot?

No, because I don't start afs at every reboot (it wouldn't make sense,
because it is not working). But I don't get it every time I start the
init script.

> This might be part of
> the problem.  It means you have AFS "started", then you umount /afs,
> then you try to remount /afs without unloading and reloading the
> kernel module.  This could certainly be the cause of your problem.

That would mean, that afs should have worked at least once. I started
afs serveral times correctly.

> Another potection issue could be iptables rules blocking packets.
> What do you get from "iptables -L"?

Well, at this moment I can't reproduce anything, because I crashed the
machine (remotely, sic) by shutting down afs.

But I am sure, that iptables -L brings nothing, because I didn't
implemented yet any firewall funcionality (and I didn't touch anyone of
these ugly Suse personal firewall scripts).

Tilo