[OpenAFS-devel] new README-NT

Lawrence Greenfield leg+@andrew.cmu.edu
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:33:58 -0500

   From: "James Peterson" <james@abrakus.com>
   Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 10:19:44 -0800
[...]
   You left out: "NOTE: If CELLNAME_DEFAULT has a '.' in cell name,
   then the name is assumed to be a valid cell name and when the user
   installs AFS the AFS Control Center will default to NOT installed!"

I didn't leave this out. It isn't in the README-NT file in the
trunk. I merely streamlined and simplified the build instructions on
the trunk.

   Why are you making reference to building with Windows 2000.  I have
   built installable versions on every version of Windows OS except
   Win95 or NT3.5.

I'm confused where you're talking about. I don't think I ever removed
any indication that it builds on previous versions of Windows. I don't
think it serves any point to talk about versions of Windows before
Windows 2000; it just raises our support burden.

I have verified that if I open a "Windows XP 32-bit Build Environment"
from the latest SDK, I can _not_ build OpenAFS.

   Leave in the stuff about installer (IS5ROOT).  Until we have
   permission from Microsoft about their installer we best stay with
   what we have.

I didn't touch any of the text about the installer. Since I don't have
it, I can't test any of it.

Larry