[OpenAFS-devel] coding standards proposal

Neulinger, Nathan nneul@umr.edu
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:55:55 -0600

> Expanding tabs is a possibility, but I'm not convinced it's=20
> necessary.  It
> would require changes in the way we do things.  In=20
> particular, for me at
> least, "cvs commit" would have to do the expansion, because=20
> not all the code
> I check in comes from my editor, and my normal sanity checks=20
> (cvs diff)
> won't catch tabs.  Maybe this could be done on the cvs=20
> server?  Anyway, it
> would be a change from what we do now, and I would want to=20
> hear a compelling
> reason to change.

I think that was the intention (to run an indent on all code before it
is committed), but I'm not positive that's what Derrick had in mind.=20

> The issue of indentation is, or should be, separate from that=20
> of tabs.  I
> happen to like i4, because it keeps the code from dropping=20
> off the right
> edge of my screen, and because that's what we have now.  But=20
> I could be
> convinced to switch to i8, which is what most of our kernels=20
> seem to use.
> I don't think I would like any other value of i.

I agree, I like -i4 as well, problem was when you also set your editor
to tabstop=3D4, it collapses ifs. Expanding all tabs will take care of
that.

> My version of indent doesn't like the options you have proposed, so if
> someone could make available a file that has been re-indented with the
> proposed options, I would appreciate it.  I've been in=20
> afs_vcache.c lately
> so that would be a good choice.

You must have a pretty old version of indent...=20

-- Nathan