[OpenAFS-devel] case-insensitive fileserver partitions

Edward Moy emoy@apple.com
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:41:10 -0800

It seems to me that changing flipbase64.c to use a different set of 64
characters might fix the case sensitivity problem.  Ignoring the
uppercase letters, we have 69 "printable" ASCII characters to choose
from.  We want to avoid slash and backslash.  We probably want to avoid
single and double quotes, and probably the space characters.  That
leaves us 64.  Are there other characters we need to avoid, meaning we
need to bring back one of the other characters.

Does anyone know if there is any other place the a case-insensitive
filesystem might be problematic?

And how best to convert to this new mapping, since it would be
incompatible with existing servers?  As a configuration option, or as
part of a new version (with a tool to convert old servers to using the
new names)?
Edward Moy
Apple Computer, Inc.
emoy@apple.com

(This message is from me as a reader of this list, and not a statement
from Apple.)