[OpenAFS-devel] pinstall on AIX 5.1

Matt Bacchi mbacchi@gmavt.net
Thu, 03 Jul 2003 13:54:05 -0400

With Hartmut's patches newly committed to the cvs head, I figured I
would try to compile on AIX 5.1.  It's working, I have a couple patches
that I'll send along soon, but pinstall is one area where I need some
advice.

/bin/strip on AIX 5, well, on any 64 bit AIX, requires an argument -X to
identify the type of XCOFF object file to examine.  Otherwise it
defaults to 32 bit.  So, in particular in the src/export directory,
cfgexport64 is obviously compiled using 64 bit compiler mode(-q64).

My question is basically, how should I handle this?  Should I put
something in src/pinstall/install.c to test for AFS_64BIT_ENV or
AFS_64BIT_CLIENT, or even AFS_AIX51_ENV?

Or, should I avoid pinstall, and rather make the change to the Makefile
in src/export to only do -X 64 on those files that were explicitly
compiled with -q64?

Thanks,
-Matt