[OpenAFS-devel] Proposed change for handling backup volumes

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
08 Jul 2003 07:54:36 -0500

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 23:58, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Nathan Neulinger wrote:
>
> > I just hate to dramatically change the semantics of mounts like you
> > describe by default since it makes it impossible to use a backup volume
> > in a way that it had previously been used. The idea does seem very
> > useful though.
>
> I'm curious, what are you doing? I never traverse mountpoints below going
> into a .backup intentionally, sometimes accidentally, and in those cases,
> I'd rather have that backup volume, also, if only because in all the cases
> I care about the whole tree is backed up at the same time.
>
> What are you doing that I'm not?

Nothing on a regular basis. I just know in a few times in the past when
we've had some issues with higher level volumes, it has been very handy
to temporarily mount the .backup volume until the rw is fixed. In our
case, that wouldn't have been usable if it implied only-.backup
traversal, since all of our volumes have .backup volumes.

It's probably not that big of a deal, just wanted to make sure that
issue was raised that there was a reason not to have it be default.

-- Nathan

UMR Information Technology             Fax: (573) 341-4216