[OpenAFS-devel] Windows Global Drives

James Peterson james@abrakus.com
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 13:32:22 -0800

The global drives were never fully implemented.

Before I got to it, the original AFS code had mounted the drives during the
logon phase (GINA); however, when the logon code exited, the Windows OS
would dismount all drives, start up a user shell, mount all previous mounted
drives (set by the last logoff) then call the AFS logon script.
Specifically the mounting of the global drives is lost!  Other users have
provided their own work around and I never went any further with it.  One
such solution is to create a logon script that uses %username% to map to
Z:\%username%.  Would that approach work for you?

There is one more thing to know, At the time roaming profile is being
loaded, you can only access global drives!  It isn't until after the profile
is loaded and the user shell is started that you can assign a drive with the
user's token.  That is why the drive map was moved to a logon script.

Is it cold in Illinois?  I used to know a couple of college girls from
Illinois, they kept me warm during the Colorado winters.

James
"Integrity is the Base of Excellence"