[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Yuck... largefile support really fouled things up bad...

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:27:02 +0100

Sorry for my late reply, but I broke my leg and was in the hospital for
some days.

The point is:
1.) You can have large file support only with the namei-interface.
2.) the namei-interface needs AFS_64BIT_IOPS_ENV to be set because the
inode number used in namei_ops.c is 64 bit long.
3.) the field vn_ino_hi used to store redundantly the same contents as
the field uniqifier. Therefore I thought it would be better to modify
VNDISK_GET_INO and VNDISK_SET_INO in order to use immediatly uniquifier
and to use vn_ino_hi for the high order 32 bits of the file length.
4.) You never will be able to change an old fileserver to a large file
supporting fileserver by just installing the new binaries. You will have
to move the volumes to the new server. During the move process the old
contents ov vn_ino_hi is not transfered and the field is cleared.

Hartmut

R. Lindsay Todd schrieb:
> I can live with this change, and certainly agree that it is better to
> make this change now than later.
>
> /Lindsay
>
> Neulinger, Nathan wrote:
>
>> How do y'all feel about maintaining on-disk compatability with adding
>> the largefile fileserver support to openafs? There are some issues with
>> the current trunk code that make assumptions that are not correct (such
>> as any 64bit_env build MUST HAVE largefile_env defined, or it doesn't
>> work right). Also assumes that we will never be able to do both 64bit
>> iops and large files in the same binary.
>>
>> I'd like to use to reserved6 field in the vnode disk structure to add a
>> length_hi, and start with the attached patch, plus other sanity checking
>> code will need added. Since this code hasn't ever been in a real release
>> of openafs, now is the time to decide how to do it.
>> Current implementation forces some dead ends, seems like using the
>> reserved slot is the way to go.
>> Derrick wanted me to talk to both of you first before he started
>> applying these changes. He did apply one I sent that at least gets rid
>> of the failure I talked about on -devel yesterday.
>> Do either of you object to using reserved6 as length_hi, and eliminating
>> the field re-use that is currently in place?
>>
>> -- Nathan

>> Nathan Neulinger                       EMail:  nneul@umr.edu
>> University of Missouri - Rolla         Phone: (573) 341-4841
>> Computing Services                       Fax: (573) 341-4216

Hartmut Reuter                           e-mail reuter@rzg.mpg.de
					   phone +49-89-3299-1328
RZG (Rechenzentrum Garching)               fax   +49-89-3299-1301
Computing Center of the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft (MPG) and the
Institut fuer Plasmaphysik (IPP)