[OpenAFS-devel] Windows Broken Pipes

Lantzer, Ryan lantzer@umr.edu
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:02:56 -0600

There have been more instances of this problem at our site, and we were
able to produce a trace dump that seems to have produced some usefull
output. I believe that a RO volume with 3 replicas was released just
before or just as the problem started occurring on this system. A couple
of seconds after the client received a cm_RevokeVolumeCallback() for the
volume in question, cm_GetCallback() was called and it looks like it was
trying to fetch the status of something within that volume. It looks
like the call to RXAFS_FetchStatus() failed two times with VOFFLINE
against two of the RO servers. But on the third try cm_ConnByMServers()
failed with CM_ERROR_NOSUCHVOLUME, making it look like it didn't even
try the third server. After receiving CM_ERROR_NOSUCHVOLUME, the
cm_GetCallback() function decides that the operation has failed and
exits. It looks like once cm_ConnByMServers() returns
CM_ERROR_NOSUCHVOLUME, there is no way for cm_Conn() to connect to that
volume again except after running 'fs checkv' to invalidate the volume
cache entry, and force it to be reloaded from the VLDB.

I found that once this problem had occurred, trying to flush the volume
in question using the Explorer interface resulted in the following error
message:

afs_shl_ext

Error flushing volume for S:\: Broken pipe

I'm still trying to find a way to reproduce this problem so that I can
perform additional tests to find out more about it.

In the mean time, does anyone know why CM_ERROR_NOSUCHVOLUME would be
returned for an offline volume? If there is a reason, shouldn't the
volume become available again after it comes back online?

Ryan Lantzer