[OpenAFS-devel] Re: OpenAFS-devel digest, Vol 1 #814 - 2 msgs

Henry B. Hotz hotz@jpl.nasa.gov
Mon, 5 May 2003 09:22:21 -0700

At 12:01 PM -0400 5/5/03, openafs-devel-request@openafs.org wrote:
>Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 22:14:42 +0200 (CEST)
>To: weisong@cs.wayne.edu, weisong@cs.nyu.edu
>Cc: openafs-devel@openafs.org
>Subject: Re: [OpenAFS-devel] how can we contribute the development of
>  OpenAFS?
>From: Harald Barth <haba@pdc.kth.se>
>
>       File server backend: It would be nice if there would be a
>       possibility to add different storage backends.

What, exactly, do you mean by a back end?

My (incomplete) understanding is that it has to support direct access
using inodes.  This would imply that any hardware RAID would work.
Some (most?) software RAIDs would also work.  You have to use a
filesystem type that supports those features.