[OpenAFS-devel] Re: OpenAFS-devel digest, Vol 1 #814 - 2 msgs

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
05 May 2003 11:51:59 -0500

There are two backends currently:

	1. NAMEI - works on just about anything
	2. Inode - direct storage of data in the inodes of the underlying
filesystem - requires kernel support and only works right on some
filesystems and only on certain platforms. Doesn't really take advantage
of the underlying filesystem.

It might be nice for example to make use of reiserfs's underlying
filesystem structures to more efficiently serve data to afs, or directly
make use of other fs specific features, etc. - or implement a NAMEI
based server that operated more efficiently. I believe that sort of this
is what Harald was referring to.

-- Nathan