[OpenAFS-devel] 1.2.9: Pthreads and signals combination is broken.

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 8 May 2003 01:45:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Harald Barth wrote:

> > the softsig thread handles the signals, and all but USR1 and fatal signals
> > are being blocked in all threads but the main thread.
>
> Blocked threads in 1.2.9? Where? But whatever, see below.

Clearly you found the calls. From your own diff:
+  AFS_SIGSET_CLEAR();

We didn't add the code for this to not use it.

> > (except it appears this actually isn't true and we missed the
> > periodic helper threads).
>
> I do not know if the "block signals in all but the main thread"
> strategy works. I don't have facts, but i fear it might not.
>
> I made a patch which implements the "block only unhandled signals in
> the signal thread" strategy. It might work, it might not, as said, I'm
> confused.
>
> It would be great if you could test it for your platform (tru64 is
> allready tested and it works). Do a "bos restart" and watch for
> salvage or core. If you get that, it is still broken, otherwise it
> might work.

"your platform". i can try linux and solaris easily. i have no platform.