[OpenAFS-devel] 1.2.9: Pthreads and signals combination is broken.

Harald Barth haba@pdc.kth.se
Thu, 08 May 2003 02:16:28 +0200 (CEST)

> the softsig thread handles the signals, and all but USR1 and fatal signals
> are being blocked in all threads but the main thread.

Blocked threads in 1.2.9? Where? But whatever, see below.

> (except it appears this actually isn't true and we missed the
> periodic helper threads).

I do not know if the "block signals in all but the main thread"
strategy works. I don't have facts, but i fear it might not.

I made a patch which implements the "block only unhandled signals in
the signal thread" strategy. It might work, it might not, as said, I'm
confused.

It would be great if you could test it for your platform (tru64 is
allready tested and it works). Do a "bos restart" and watch for
salvage or core. If you get that, it is still broken, otherwise it
might work.

The patch can be found at
/afs/pdc.kth.se/home/h/haba/Public/openafs-pthread-signal-2.patch

Harald.