[OpenAFS-devel] Building OpenAFS 1.2.2b For Win98

Antoine Verheijen antoine.verheijen@ualberta.ca
Mon, 12 May 2003 15:39:58 -0600

Grretings, all.

I've been trying for a week now to build the Win98 version of the
OpenAFS client. I've tried version 1.2.2b and 1.1.1a (lthe latter
being the version that the README-WIN9X document seems to apply to).
I've had very limited success. The DjGPP part seems to build fine
(more or less) on my Linux system (RedHat 7.2). However, when I go to
my Windows box using Visual C== 6.0, I get grief about a whole lot of
missign header files such as "afsconfig.h", "netinet/in.h",
"strings.h", etc. It looks like in some cases it trying to rebuild
parts that were already done by Linux or, in other cases, like
CAfs.cpp in the "win9xpanel" directory, it doesn't have some AFS
header(s) that it thinks it should.

Clearly I've missed something. Is there something missing in the
README... file? Alternatively, does somebody have a successful build
(including headers, libraries, and objects) that I could obtain a
copy of? Or, as an other alternative, does any have the headers and
libraries that are needed to build just the Windows GUI program
(WinAFSLoad.exe in win9xpanel)? I really don't care about building or
changing any other parts of the system.

Why am I bothering? Because we're trying to deploy AFS in about 2
dozen Win98 labs here and the success of this venture depends on
making a couple of tiny tweaks in the GUI to "accommodate" usage by
some of our less clever or diligent users.

Sorry to bother you. Many thanks.

Oh, by the way, I'm mostly a Unix or Mac geek so if I've missed
something obvious on the Windows side, please forgive me. My build
knowledge on that platform is a little limited.