[OpenAFS-devel] OpenAFS-1.2.x and HPUX

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Fri, 23 May 2003 09:44:09 -0500

Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> > I have reapplied all the patches I had for HPUX to the
> > openafs-1.2.x-rc0 snapshot. It complies on hp_ux110, hp_ux11i
> > and ia64_hpux1122
> >
> > See:
> >
> > /afs/anl.gov/usr/ctd/b17783/pub/openafs.1.2.x-rc0-HPUX.diffs.20030522
>
> Thank you. I have only one "concern", this change in lwp.h:
> +
> + /*
> +  * On ia64 where the ucontext is used, it can be an extra 48K
> +  * Need to account for this.  There might be two of these on the
> +  * stack too. This needs to be checked.
> +  */
> + #if defined(USE_UCONTEXT) && defined(HAVE_UCONTEXT_H)
> + #define AFS_LWP_MINSTACKSIZE  (288 * 1024)
> + #else
>   #if defined(AFS_LINUX22_ENV)
>   #define AFS_LWP_MINSTACKSIZE  (192 * 1024)
>   #else
>   #define AFS_LWP_MINSTACKSIZE  (48 * 1024)
> + #endif
>   #endif
>
> Have you observed a problem for anything other than HP-UX?

The best I can tell the IA64 context is 48K, and the LWP saves it on the stack.
So this chnage should be on any IA64 system. I saw this early on, so increased
the stack sive, but have no realy data. I don't have any other ia64 systems to check.

If not, why
> increase the minimum stack size elsewhere? I guess that's really only ia64
> Linux, and now Linux on the Opteron, and it's probably not worth worrying
> about.

I would say yes, and it should not hurt if the stack is larger then it needs to be.