Patch: Solved: Re: [OpenAFS-devel] PAM / openssh 3.7.1p2

Dean Anderson dean@av8.com
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 22:49:28 -0400 (EDT)

Ok, some joy was found by compiling the auth-pam.o with
-DUSE_POSIX_THREADS and linking with -lpthread.  Looks like something in
the sshd "pthread emulation" is breaking pam_afs...

The pthread "emulation" is, well, interesting.  It creates another process
and a couple sockets to communicate between them.  It is unclear what
benefit this has. Pam_afs forks to enable automatic memory leak cleanup.
However, pthreads (if you use real pthreads), don't have this property.

It is unclear to me why the additional fork causes
ka_UserAutheticateGeneral not to properly set the PAG, nor why it would
get another pag. (could sshd have inherited this???)

I'm truly mystified as to why this works this way...  I would really like
to hear from anyone who can explain this.

		--Dean