[OpenAFS-devel] OpenAFS 1.2.10 Windows Client, freelance trouble

Kostas Liakakis kostas@skiathos.physics.auth.gr
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:08:31 +0300 (EET DST)

Hello,

Recently, I created test cell with the server running under WindowsXP. I
was immediatelly phased with two problems:

First, the bosctlsvc could not start the bossserver.exe. Looking at the
source I found the source of this, bosctlsvc was expecting bosserver to
reside in Program Files\ibm\afs\serverbin while the installation had the
binary put in ...\server\usr\afs\bin. Small problem, I copied the binary
to the other directory. But the configuration wizard would still not work.
It kind of "hanged" trying to start the authentication server... (I waited
long enough with nothing going on...).

So, I decided to go through the cell creation using the command line and
following the steps outlined in the AFS documentation. So, finally I had a
working cell.

Next, I wanted to have both the test and normal cells available to Windows
clients (also WinXP) so I experimented with the FreelanceClient mode.

After enabling it, I could create mounts to the root.cell of the normal
cell we have here (server running on linux). But, when I tryed to make a
mount to the test cell, the client would die as soon as I accessed the
afs-drive ... like opening a command prompt and typing "dir e:" with e:
mapped to /afs on the client.

Unix clients with dynamic root had no problems accessing both cells.

Any ideas on what have I done wrong? Information on both the Windows
server port as well as the Freelance mode is a bit scarce and perhaps
outdated (last year's posts)...

Thanks for your time,

-Kostas