[OpenAFS-devel] afs_BozonLock

Garrett Wollman wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:12:01 -0400 (EDT)

There seems to be a paucity of documentation about what this lock is
supposed to do.  The implementation says it's (effectively) a
recursive mutex, and what documents and comments exist seem to say
that its purpose is to work around some unnamed deficiency in a
SunOS 4 VM function that I can find no information about.  The use of
it seems to be rather haphazard: most of the uses in the ``MI'' code
are for SunOS 4/5 and DUX, but sometimes it's used for just SunOS, and
it's referenced in the Darwin, FreeBSD, and (moribund?) NetBSD OS
interface directories.  Should I assume that this is just cargo-cult
programming and remove references to it from the FreeBSD OSI?  I note
that the OpenBSD OSI doesn't use it.

-GAWollman