[OpenAFS-devel] IPV6

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:04:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, David Howells wrote:

> Is there any support for IPV6 in OpenAFS? Are there any extensions to the VL
> Rx protocol to support IPV6 addresses?

No. No.

Arla folks did some IPV6 work on Rx, which I'm in the process of borrowing
some of for some multiple binding work; The net result should be support
in the Rx API, but not necessarily Rx (yet) or the VL RPCs. In reality the
VL RPC suite should have some extensions done to it and we should publish
a new set of RPCs (with the old as backward compat of course) to handle
all the things no one thought of when the last set happened. Some require
some thought, though can probably be defined without knowing what will be
behind them (multiple ROs support, IPv6, longer volume name length limit,
some other things)

I have some thoughts on backward compatible longer volume name length but
will save those for another message
.