[OpenAFS-devel] Re: OpenAFS on 2.4.26 ? OpenMosix ?

Atro Tossavainen Atro.Tossavainen@helsinki.fi
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:48:53 +0200 (EET)

Terry,

> Login using AFS works fine. Keeping $HOME out of AFS makes for a more
> stable world.

Seems to make no difference to us.  I've always had the users' homes
on AFS.

> Reading using AFS seems to always work.  Writing works most times, but
> will on occaission result in a segment fault (in cp for instance). I
> suspect this happens when the file must be fetched from the AFS server,
> but can't be sure.

We have never seen this.  Have you confirmed that it's not a token
lifetime issue?  (A segmentation fault should not occur even then,
though.)

> At one point I had the gateway machine in my office and I tried to login
> via xdm to my AFS account. This generated various errors, starting with
> the X11 lock. Login never worked reasonably, even though the same exact
> setup works fine with more conventional Linux machines.

One of our researchers has been doing exactly this for ages without any
of the problems you mention.

> What MOSIX are you running? Version etc? OpenAFS version?

The latest we've been running is MOSIX 1.12.0 for Linux 2.4.27, though
now that you mention it, I notice that 1.12.1 for 2.4.28 has become
available a while ago.  We're on OpenAFS 1.2.11 on the clients.  The
servers are Transarc AFS, if it makes any difference, I doubt that it
would.  We've been doing this for two years now, starting from Linux
kernel 2.4.20 and whatever MOSIX was the proper release for it, 1.8.0
probably.

> When you launch the AFS daemon, do you make any attempt to pin the
> daemon to the gateway node? Seems to me that if AFS daemons get
> migrated, it'd not be a good thing.

Yes, there is a "echo 1 > /proc/$$/lock" in my /etc/init.d/afs for the
clusters.  However, it does not seem to matter - the processes do not
get locked.  On the other hand, they do not appear to migrate either.

The afsd processes appear as [name] in ps -f output... other processes
that look the same appear to be kernel threads which wouldn't be migrated
by MOSIX anyway, if I'm not totally mistaken.

If you have the opportunity to set up a test cluster with MOSIX instead
of OpenMosix, I would like to hear your experiences w.r.t. AFS.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,