[OpenAFS-devel] File size limit exceeded

Brent Graveland brent@graveland.net
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:50:10 -0700

> vos dump some.volume > dumpfile
>
> This will never work for a large volume, because when you use I/O
> redirection the shell opens the output file, and it always opens it in
> 32-bit mode because it doesn't know what the program that will be doing
> output is capable of.  Instead, you should use a command like
>
> vos dump -id some.volume -file dumpfile
>
> Which will cause vos to open the file in 64-bit mode.

Which shells have you confirmed this with?

You might not want to say "never". Using redirection is one way I've
overcome programs with large file problems. Streams of data don't use
seeks, and therefor usually don't have file size limitations. If a
program opens a file itself and uses 32 bit calls, but also can be told
to use stdin/out, using stdin and out can solve the problem.

Most unix programs try not to make assumptions like this, and I've never
run into this "feature" in a bsd or linux (or solaris?).

--
Brent Graveland
brent@graveland.net