[OpenAFS-devel] File size limit exceeded

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:18:55 -0500

On Tuesday, February 10, 2004 10:50:10 -0700 Brent Graveland
<brent@graveland.net> wrote:

>> vos dump some.volume > dumpfile
>>
>> This will never work for a large volume, because when you use I/O
>> redirection the shell opens the output file, and it always opens it in
>> 32-bit mode because it doesn't know what the program that will be doing
>> output is capable of.  Instead, you should use a command like
>>
>> vos dump -id some.volume -file dumpfile
>>
>> Which will cause vos to open the file in 64-bit mode.
>
> Which shells have you confirmed this with?

A quick, rather incomplete survey indicates that while both bash 2.x and
Solars 9 /bin/sh open I/O redirection targets in largefile mode, bash 1.x
does not, and it doesn't appear that Irix 6.5 does, either.  So in fact,
the behaviour of shell is inconsistent in this regard.

In any event, my point was that there is little we can do to OpenAFS to
affect the redirection behaviour, since we don't own the shell.  Handing
vos the filename on the command line should work.