[OpenAFS-devel] Linux kernel 2.6

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:02:36 -0800

Kevin <openafsd@gnosys.biz> writes:

> I see from the archives that this question has been asked and answered
> recently, but I'm asking again because I see in the configuration
> options of the 2.6 kernel, an experimental option for support of AFS
> (CONFIG_AFS_FS).

A barely functional anonymous read-only AFS client was contributed to
Linux completely independent of OpenAFS and was accepted for some reason.
I believe this is what that option refers to.  I've not tried it
personally, but I've not heard anything very good about it.

This unfortunately isn't a sign that any of the problems facing OpenAFS
have really been solved, since the functionality of that client is so
incomplete and rudimentary as to have not encountered any of the issues
that OpenAFS faces.  (In particular, it doesn't do any authentication at
all, so it doesn't care about PAGs.)