[OpenAFS-devel] Fully Functional Client on Linux 2.6

Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 16:06:26 -0400

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 03:54:22PM -0400, Jack Neely wrote:
> Indeed I have.  I don't like the solution of including kernel stuff in
> the src RPMs, although that is probably the best solution out there.

One other option would be to not include but reference the kernel binary
RPMs, which could live in a %defined directory somewhere.

But, actually, I think including them as source files has at least one
significant advantage -- it's easy to repeat the exact build, without having
to track down the exact right combination of kernel packages every time.

And, you basically have to rebuild the OpenAFS rpms whenever there's a new
kernel update anyway (and there sure have been plenty of those the last few
days), so there's not much real added overhead.

Also along those lines -- do you see an advantage of having a separate
openafs-kernel subpackage? Why not just include that in -client?

> Here's hoping that something sane comes from Arjan from the discussion
> we had on fedora-devel.

Yeah.

I noticed that you don't seem to have any special patches to deal with the
crashes on SMP that I've been having. It just works for you? Maybe there's
something odd on my test machine....

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>