[OpenAFS-devel] Fully Functional Client on Linux 2.6

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Fri, 02 Jul 2004 18:36:02 -0400

Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org> writes:

> Let me be more specific. :)
>
> What advantage do you see in having a separate package? In most cases, they
> won't be built or upgraded separately from the client package anyway, will
> they?

Sure they will!  Indeed this is what I'd like to (eventually)
implement, ala the patches sent here months ago to build just a kernel
package.  This way when a new kernel is released you can just build a
new kernel package for that new kernel version without having to
rebuild the whole source tree.

>> openafs-1.4 RPMS is to have separate openafs-kernel RPMS for each
>> kernel version.
>
> Hmmm. That seems like a bit more overhead -- each new kernel version will
> require changes at several places in the spec file. Each a cut & paste, but
> with various lines changed....
>
> But more importantly, how will that work for upgrades? I don't think you can
> have multiple subpackages with the same name but different versions, so the
> kernel version would have to be encoded in the subpackage name itself. Each
> one could provide "openafs-kernel-module" or some other virtual name, and
> each could require its corresponding kernel package, but how would the
> packaging system know that a new version of the afs kernel module should be
> installed when a new kernel is?

Huh?  You're on crack.  Of course you can have multiple packages of
different versions installed at the same time.  Just "rpm -i <pkg>"
and you've now got two versions installed.

Also, the plan was to have:

openafs-kernel-<openafs-version>-<kernel-version>.<arch>.rpm

This works just fine.  Go read the archives for when this was discussed
months and months ago.

-derek