[OpenAFS-devel] Fully Functional Client on Linux 2.6

Tomas Olsson tol@stacken.kth.se
04 Jul 2004 10:33:05 +0200

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> writes:

>>> No, it's not OK to assume any chunk of memory containing 222 kernel-text
>>> addresses is the system call table.

True. On my first attempt with an opteron, I found the interrupt table
instead.

> vendors have started unexporting that, and the stock kernels may
> follow suit very soon.  After all, it is the mission of the Linux
> kernel developers to make life as hard as possible for anyone who
> maintains code not in the kernel tree.

Please, take it easy. The syscall hack is a terrible thing, and we should
stop doing it. Sure it's been done for ages and ages, that doesn't make it
right. Sure it's our syscall, but unless we use it right or submit a
palatable patch that gives us access in a reasonable way, we'll have to use
other approaches. Most of the infrastructure we need is there, we just need
to get it working. Then we can drop this whole awful hack.

Collaboration is a good thing, war is bad. I don't care what this lkml guy
or that does, they are the way they are. We've got to accept it. We _don't_
need to piss them off. I for one prefer to consider them nice people, and
most are actually possible to talk to.  Let's just be friends, give them
patches and Good Ideas<TM>, and make the best of it. I'm a lot more
productive when I manage not to get upset over things.

Hmm. And if you think there are people out there trying to make your life
miserable, don't give them instructions.

And yes, I have (obviously) spent some time on doing workarounds for a
while now. AFAIK, current Arla builds and works on SuSE, Fedora2,
kernel.org, 2.4, redhat, x86_64. Hopefully things will calm down enough
that I can do some real work instead.

/Tomas (make love, not war. hmm, sorry 'bout that. 70's kid)