[OpenAFS-devel] Problems using the RedHat patches to get OpenAFS working on Debian using 2.6 kernel

Christine Nattrass nattrass@star1.physics.yale.edu
Wed, 07 Jul 2004 14:11:50 -0400

Ok, answers to miscellaneous questions

I am running Debian testing (2.6.7 kernel)
filesystem for cache - XFS (how do I change this?)
platform - IA32, Dell laptop:  Inspiron 5100 with a pentium 4 processor

here is the info about the patch I was using
http://linux.ncsu.edu/projects/openafs-rpms/

It appears I was having some problems getting the kernel module to load
properly.  That was one of the problems.
Here's what I do when I try to run openafs now:
madscientistgirl@tesla:~/skype_ver-0_90_0_6$ su
Password:
tesla:/home/madscientistgirl/skype_ver-0_90_0_6# insmod
/usr/local/lib/openafs/libafs-2.6.7.ko
tesla:/home/madscientistgirl/skype_ver-0_90_0_6# dmesg
libafs: module license 'unspecified' taints kernel.
Found sys_call_table at c0442200
tesla:/usr/local# /usr/local/sbin/afsd -memcache
afsd: WARNING: Cache dir check failed (unable to stat cache base directory)
afsd: All AFS daemons started.
afsd: Can't mount AFS on /afs(22)
tesla:/usr/local#

Do I have hyperthreading enabled?   I am working on finding out but I'm
having trouble checking.  I'm still relatively new to Linux.  But I'm no
longer getting a segmentation fault.

I evidently do have it set up so that was trying to use an xfs file
system for the cache -- how do I change this?  Why won't xfs and work?
Is there any more information on this?