[OpenAFS-devel] [LKML] Re: In-kernel Authentication Tokens (PAGs)

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 00:57:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

>> c) When an authentication context is no longer "in use" (FSVO),
>> release the resources allocated to it.
>
> Well, we don't actually do that, since PAG's themselves have no resources
> (they're just a number).

Only due to phrasal ambiguity. gcpags garbage collects tokens for PAGs
with no member processes. You can play semantic games and say that's not
what he said, but it would be semantic games, not actual useful
discussion:-P

>> OpenAFS does not care about the inverse operation of (a): given an
>> authentication context, find all of the subject processes which belong
>> thereto.
>
> Nope.  But in the current model, we do care about being able to tell whether
> a given context (PAG) is in use by any processes.  I'd settle for
> notification when the last ref goes away.

If done right, sure.