[OpenAFS-devel] vol-dump.c and large file dumps...

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:12:51 +0200

On Jul 14, 2004, at 5:16 AM, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

> Direct from disk?  This sounds interesting but 1st I've heard of it.
> How does it compare speed-wise with vos dump?  When I outlined my
> plan for implementing AFS backups with amanda using vos dump, nobody
> mentioned voldump to me.  Maybe we could get faster dumps by fixing
> voldump and switching from vos dump to that?

It depends on what your're doing.
the vos dump writes a volume like on stream. It doesn't really care
about where a specific file is stored. If you have to deal with filters
by filename or things like that you have to worry about the information
in the dump including ACLs etc. That's pretty slow because you have to
parse and seek the dump file.

Horst