[OpenAFS-devel] [LKML] Re: In-kernel Authentication Tokens (PAGs)

Kyle Moffett mrmacman_g4@mac.com
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:37:24 -0400

On Jul 14, 2004, at 07:01, Tomas Olsson wrote:
> True. Shared logins are tricky, and ticket forwarding changes a lot of
> things. One could argue that a daemon that receives forwarded tickets
> should give you a new PAG. Should this be up to the daemon or be an OS
> decision?
>
> The question is in which cases a default PAG is desirable or
> undesirable,
> or where the possibility to join a PAG in some way could be a solution.
>
> What is natural for a user? Desired semantics on multiple rsh calls to
> my
> number crunching nodes? RSA authenticated SSH? Attaching to screen
> sessions? RDP/vnc/... sessions?

The way I handle these is by leaving it up to a PAM module and daemon.
These kind of decisions should be configurable from user-space, and the
best place to make those decisions is there.

> Yes, we are getting farther away from the original PAGs. I don't care
> so
> much about what the current implementation does if it isn't what we
> really
> want. Besides, similar things are likely to be included in several
> OSes, so
> we'd better get this one right.  From what I hear, OpenBSD will
> probably
> include a sane PAG (or whatever) implementation if they get a patch. We
> need a spec.

That's the goal of what I'm trying to do here, a sane set of syscalls
and a
relatively simple internal structure.  That way hopefully other OSes
will
like the API and implement it themselves.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett