[OpenAFS-devel] [LKML] Re: In-kernel Authentication Tokens (PAGs)

Tomas Olsson tol@stacken.kth.se
15 Jul 2004 12:27:00 +0200

David Howells <dhowells@redhat.com> writes:
> I think you don't really need locking anyway. You just have to be aware that
> what you're dealing with may change under you.

Obviously, races should be prevented if possible. A system with key rings
shared between hundreds of processes is quite likely to get bitten if there
are frequent modifications. Of course, to some extent one can avoid the
problem by cutting complex keys up into smaller units, or use versioning to
get warnings. I guess small, atomic operations are nice.

/Tomas