[OpenAFS-devel] Extension for config

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 00:00:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Jeff Mahoney wrote:

> In the long term, I'd like to develop the configuration system to
> something more unified. I understand how the existing configuration
> system has its advantages for cross os/arch compatibility

Actually, it sort of sucks. The configuration system has been moving
toward what we want for years, but even still, 3 generations in, it's not
there yet.

> As a starting point, rather than hack in every new arch I'd like to use
> with the Linux 2.6 kernel into src/libafs/MakefileProto.LINUX.in, I
> chose to extend src/config/config.c to understand the OS and processor
> portions of the sysname separately as tags.

I applied this, but i'll ask if perhaps it might make sense to instead
have both an OS and a processor namespace?

so if all ppc (linux24, linux26) share one set of things, and all linux24
another, you can use tags which aren't in the same namespace. e.g.

ppc versus _linux26

or maybe so we can keep using what you've done,

ppc_, i386_, etc.