[OpenAFS-devel] Re: linux 2.6.x module version magic failure on SMP systems (FC2)

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:35:44 -0400

On Wednesday, June 23, 2004 19:32:19 +0200 Rainer Sch=F6pf=20
<rainer.schoepf@proteosys.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
>
>  > When building agsinst 2.6, you still get two directories, but they are
> (in  > theory) identical -- we use the kernel's build process to build
> each  > directory, and don't pass any compiler options of our own at all.
>
> Ah, so my understanding was correct.
>
> Which leads to the question (forgive me if I'm asking the obvious):
> perhaps the MP kernel where libafs crashed on load was built with a
> different configuration? In that case you need to rebuild libafs with a
> different .config in the toplevel kernel source directory.

Yes; AFS must be configured and built against the configured kernel source=20
tree which actually corresponds to the kernel in question.  Obviously, if=20
you build against the wrong kernel tree, you'll get the wrong module.