[OpenAFS-devel] free(): invalid pointer with bos shutdown, kernel panics when shutting down, and loss of volumes when adding additional servers, in 1.2.11 and 1.3.64

Brett L Trotter blt@iastate.edu
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 13:55:35 -0500

We've been experimenting with AFS 1.2.11, 1.3.64 and now 1.3.65 more or less
simultaneously. We've been trying to implement the same things in the stable
1.2.11 release that we are doing in 1.3.64, obviously with some different
pieces involved, like with gssklogd on the 1.2.11.

In any case, we're seeing a lot of problems in both 1.2.11 and 1.3.64

First of which is a bunch of free(): invalid pointer 0x-------- when doing bos
shutdown: one for each service running. This happened on a 1.2.11 box and
1.3.64 box, but not on another 1.2.11 box.

Next, when doing /sbin/service shutdown localhost -localauth -wait  in some
cases (after doing bos shutdown localhost -localauth or bos shutdown
localhost with a token), the system kernel panics- in both 1.2.11 and 1.3.64.
I have not found a unique and certain sequence of events to replicate this
with 100% failure.

When we've been trying to add an additional server, they don't seem to get
quorum'd properly and sync up their databases, and twice now the machine that
was the first server and had ~10,000 test user volumes has lost -all- of the
volumes. The machine comes back up and says salvaging, which takes forever as
expected, then the filesystems come online, and yet nothing is there. a bos
shutdown then takes a split second, which usually takes a while.. and when
you bring up the services again it goes back to salvaging.

Can someone tell me the adding an additional server for dummies quickstart
guide? The OpenAFS.org docs on that are either a little sketchy, something
doesn't quite go as written, or I am just misunderstanding something.

The free(): invalid pointer errors seem harmles.. The kernel panics and loss
of volumes worry me. Am I doing something completely crazy?

--
Brett Trotter
UNIX System Administrator