[OpenAFS-devel] OPenAFS and OpenSSH-3.8

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:23:16 -0600

Jim Rees wrote:

> Theo is dead set against using dlopen in "critical" software like sshd.
> When we added smartcard support to OpenSSH I had to remove the dynamic
> reader library loading, and bind statically against one reader library
> (currently Todos).

But PAM is OK? its doing dlopen.

> I think the long term solution is to get linux and the BSDs to agree on a
> common setpag syscall, and have it available even if afs is not loaded.
> Then sshd can call setpag without worrying about SIGSYS.  A helper process
> can be used to acquire tokens.

If you can pull that off, that would be great. I was looking more short term,
with the current situation of the AFS PAG and getting tokens from delegated
credentials. I was trying to make it so the method used was outside of sshd.

Your helper process sounds very similar to the DCE DFS dced.

We still have the problem of convincing linux and BSDs for a setpag syscall.