[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] 2.6 kernel support anytime soon? Workarounds?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 10 May 2004 14:17:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Derek Atkins wrote:

> >> It was a quagmire back then.  Here we are a decade later and it's a
> >> magnitude worse.  Besides, there is a lot of historical baggage going
> >> on which I highly doubt you understand.
> >
> > He was doing Linux Sparc stuff in 1995; So was I. I was running AFS on my
> > Linux Sparc then, including the (inode!) fileserver.
>
> Well, then, you're welcome.  :)

Not really, until I fixed the volume package it was eating my data when I
vos released. I had my own fork of the code.

> > In any case, I'm not sure I know what baggage you mean.
>
> There was a lot of history with Linus and Alan about how the AFS
> module would interface with the kernel..  And the whole question of
> "stable" interfaces back around the 2.0 days (like when Linus broke
> binary compatibility by rearranging the members of a structure).  Back
> then AFS _couldn't_ go into the kernel; it wasn't open source, and the
> other Linux developers knew it.  They just haven't relearned that
> times have changed.

It's not GPL, so it's still not open source :-P